Lead the Way College Advising is listed under additional offerings
College Websites & Upcoming College Prospect Days (posted Feb 26,2018)
College websites are a great way to learn about college athletics, divisions and conferences. While on the website remember to fill out the athletic questionaire.
Sample of Wheaton College Athletic Questionnaire
Prospect Clinics and Tournaments: held on college campuses are a great way to begin the college selection process! This will give you an opportunity to begin thinking about what you are looking for in a college, ie. distance from home, the size you are most interested in and if you prefer an urban or rural campus. In addition, you will have the opportunity to meet the coaching staff as well as interact with the girls on the team.
If you have begun corresponding with colleges you may be starting to recieve information regarding this clinics via email. In addition, most often this clinics are listed on the field hockey page of the college website. We encourage you to attend these clinics.
I have include the clinic from Wheaton as a sample!
3 Elements of Recruiting
Assess what your current playing ability
Attend practice, practice on your own, lessons, learn and play the game, develop your technical and tactical skills
- Attend tournaments, college clinics, regional and national tournaments (with and without club)
- Create Proavtive Plan
- To market yourself and strategically map out a plan for the college selection and recruiting process
- Research and reach out to schools that interest you
What division can I play at?
- Division I
- 78 programs
- 12 scholarships = fully funded
- Division II
- 35 programs
- 6.3 scholarships = fully funded
- Division III
- 165 programs
- No athletic scholarships
- Not all programs are fully funded and not all schools offer scholarships
- Scholarships are for 4 years and everything is paid for
- College coaches will find you